Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Recovery - Week 1

Day 1
The surgery went flawlessly and my mom's new kidney is functioning perfectly! I've been doing some deep breathing exercises to prevent pneumonia and drinking clear liquids most of the day. I wasn't prepared for how dry the anesthesia has made my mouth but it is getting better. I got to see my mom earlier and except for some pain, she is also doing well! I was able to eat some jello and tomato soup with crackers but am REALLY looking forward to a milkshake tomorrow!

Incisions from the day of the surgery. The surgeons actually did four total incursions instead of the three they initially said would be made. Lots of swelling over my entire stomach area...

I got an update on my mom and she had a bit of infection so the doctors took the port out and gave her antibiotics. She responded very well and should be leaving the ICU tomorrow.

Day 2
Ok...going to the bathroom after surgery is TERRIBLE. You can't leave the hospital until you do and I was having trouble doing both. Not a very comfortable day but I'm walking the halls quite a bit to speed the recovery and hopefully move things along.

I had to get an enema which helped with the bowel pressure but not an experience I'd  like to repeat...able to pee now which is nice.

First time asking for pain meds, which helped me get some rest.

Food for the day was rice krispies with milk and apple juice for breakfast, chicken noodle soup with crackers, pudding, and milk for lunch, and milkshake for dinner! Hospital dinner we vegetable soup but who am I kidding? Milkshake for dinner is SO much better!

Day 3
Feeling better today but still no #2. Walking is feeling easier today except for the bowel pressure. Breakfast was oatmeal with milk and apple juice.

Later, I was given magnesium citrate and was able to go to the bathroom! Wooo! This means I can go home today!  One of the surgeons said that the magnesium citrate is the "nuclear bomb" of laxatives and is only used to "move mountains." Mission accomplished! My mom also was brought up from the ICU so I'm going to go see her.

After I went to see her, she had a setback and needed to go back to the ICU. The doctors think she could still be discharged this weekend though.

I was discharged at around lunchtime today and was able to head back to my parents to recover. I was able to do two walks to the end of the street (about 150 yards) but needed to rest afterwards. Food today was cereal and milk with apple juice for breakfast and Wendy's junior cheeseburger with small fries and frosty for lunch. Dinner was mini-ravioli.

Day 4
I'm only taking one percoset at night and in the morning with extra strength Tylenol during the day. Breakfast was cereal with milk and peanut butter English muffin for lunch. I walked three times today with each walk going about 1/4 mile. I feel pretty tired after the walks but enjoy getting outside. The incisions are healing nicely and my stomach is less swollen today than yesterday. Pictures will be coming shortly.

My mom is going to be discharged tomorrow! She is feeling MUCH better today and has made excellent progress over the past 24 hours.

Day 5
Good news and bad news for my mom today. Her kidney function is great but her phosphorous still isn't stable so she won't be discharged until Monday.

My food intake is back to normal as are bathroom habits. I'm now able to walk over a mile with no physical issues afterward, which is great.

The only pain I have left is from the incisions themselves and the carbon dioxide gas pain from the gas injected into my abdomen during the surgery. The gas pain is the worst and extends up to my shoulders as it dissipates over time. It still makes sleeping awkward and painful so hopefully it goes away soon!

Day 6
No change in energy or pain level. I went for a 2.2 mile walk. I didn't feel tired while walking but it took the energy our of me the rest of the day. I think I'll take it easy tomorrow. I still am getting the carbon dioxide pains when sleeping but it seems a bit less.

Day 7
Rest day from walking. I was quite tired from over-exercising yesterday so I took it easy today. I'll go for a shorter walk tomorrow and build up a bit slower. Less energy but no change in pain today.

Mom came home from the hospital today! She is tired but doing well. She's also extremely happy to be home.


1 comment:

  1. We are urgently in need of KlDNEY donors for the sum of $500,000.00 USD,(3 CRORE INDIA RUPEES) All donors are to reply via Email only: hospitalcarecenter@gmail.com or Email: kokilabendhirubhaihospital@gmail.com
    WhatsApp +91 7795833215

    ReplyDelete