Monday, May 5, 2014

The Surgery

I will be having a single incision laparoscopic left kidney nephrectomy. I know that sounds like a complex procedure but it really isn't so bad. "Laparoscopy is a surgery that uses a thin, lighted tube put through a cut (incision) in the belly to look at the abdominal organs." (WebMD) 

Here is a video of an actual single incision laparoscopic nephrectomy. My surgery will be a bit different but you will get a general idea of what it will be like. 

Video Link: Single Incision Laparoscopic Nephrectomy
WARNING: If you are AT ALL squeamish or nauseated by blood or guts, DO NOT WATCH THIS! 

If you would prefer to have a less graphic depiction of the surgery, here is a link that has some great information.

Website Link: Laparoscopic Live Donor Nephrectomy Surgery
WARNING: The video at the bottom of this page is the same video as I linked to above. Watch at your own risk!

The Surgery
Surgery Preparation
I must be at Harrisburg Hospital for 5:30am tomorrow with an estimated surgery time of 7:30am. I am allowed to eat a normal breakfast and a light lunch but am allowed no food after 2:00pm today. Also at 2:00pm, I have to drink a bottle of magnesium citrate, which will "cleanse the bowels." I have to do this for two reasons. First, if a tiny nick of the intestines happens in surgery, it would be dangerous to have waste still in the intestines because of the risk of infection. Second, having empty bowels makes it easier to rearrange the intestines during the surgery. From 2:00pm until midnight, I can drink clear liquids but nothing at all after that.

Morning of the Surgery
I will receive some meds for anxiety to take the edge off while I am being prepped with an IV in my hand. I've been told I'll be asked MANY times what my name is, what is my birthday, why am I here, etc. I guess they want to make sure they take the correct person into the surgery.


My mom and I right before I went back to the OR


The Surgery
The nephrectomy should take 2-3 hours assuming no complications happen. I'll be moved to a recovery room for an hour and then to my hospital bed. Dr. Yang will let my parents know how my surgery went and will wheel my mom in to the same room and immediately begin her surgery. Her surgery should take 3-4 hours because they are also taking out her left kidney first before they put mine in.


This image is similar to the incisions I will have. Dr. Yang said that I will have two incisions (not the three shown in this picture) and a similar 5.5 cm incision to take the kidney out.

My kidney...much bigger than I expected!
Recovery
I'll be having the surgery on Tuesday and should be going home on Thursday. I won't be able to drive for 10-14 days and can't lift anything over 20 pounds for 6 weeks. Other than that, I can't start my NFL or MMA career but I don't see that as much of an issue!

I'll be posting frequent updates with more detail on each of the parts of the whole living donor experience as I am able. If you have any questions or suggestions for the blog, please let me know!

1 comment:

  1. We are urgently in need of KlDNEY donors for the sum of $500,000.00 USD,(3 CRORE INDIA RUPEES) All donors are to reply via Email only: hospitalcarecenter@gmail.com or Email: kokilabendhirubhaihospital@gmail.com
    WhatsApp +91 7795833215

    ReplyDelete